Silk Road Souvenirs
For this activity, you will weave a small piece of fabric, without the use of a mechanical loom.
What you need:
What you need:
- One 5” x 8” index card (You can weave a larger piece of fabric by simply creating a larger paper card “loom.”)
- 2 or more colors of wool yarn
- Kite string/ thread
- A ruler
- A pencil
1. Create a loom from an index card by measuring and marking ten points ½” apart on both of the short sides of the index card (directly opposite of each other) and then making a small cut at each mark (Figure 1).
2. To create the warp of the loom, follow the steps below (Figure 2):
a. Tape one end of the string to the bottom left hand corner of the index card and position the string so it sits in the leftmost cut of the bottom edge.
b. Wind the string around the card lengthwise so that each time it passes over the edge of the card it is snugly wrapped into one of the cuts.
c. Tape the string to the index card (make sure it’s on the same side as the other bit of tape) and cut off the excess.
3. Next, create the shuttle by selecting a color of yarn and tying (or taping or stapling) one end of the yarn to a pencil.
4. Begin weaving by following the steps listed below (Figures 3 & 4):
a. Turn the index card so the taped side is the back side.
b. Pass the shuttle under the first warp string, over the second, under the third, etc. until the end of the row is reached (leaving a tail of yarn at the beginning).
c. Pass the shuttle back through the warp strings in the reverse direction, making sure that the shuttle is on the opposite side of the warp string as the previous row.
d. Continue to weave rows until you reach the end of the yarn. Make sure to leave a tail at the edge.
e. Tie your next piece of yarn to the one you just ended weaving with and repeat the steps above until the loom is full.
5. To finish your weaving, complete the followng steps (Figures 5 & 6):
a. Tie a knot in each of the tails of yarn on the side of the weaving as close to the cloth as possible and then cut off the excess yarn.
b. Turn the loom over, carefully remove the tape and, in the very middle of the warp threads, cut through the threads.
c. Form a fringe from the cut warp ends by tying pairs of adjacent strings together in double knots.
d. Cut the fringe ends so they are even.